|Back to Herb Menu Back to Index|
|DISCLAIMER: These pages are presented solely as a source of INFORMATION and ENTERTAINMENT and to provide stern warnings against use where appropriate. No claims are made for the efficacy of any herb nor for any historical herbal treatment. In no way can the information provided here take the place of the standard, legal, medical practice of any country. Additionally, some of these plants are extremely toxic and should be used only by licensed professionals who have the means to process them properly into appropriate pharmaceuticals. One final note: many plants were used for a wide range of illnesses in the past, but be aware that many of the historical uses have proven to be ineffective for the problems to which they were applied.|
|Angelica||Angelica, American||Angelica, Eur.||Angelica, Other|
|1. Can be easily confused with WATER HEMLOCK (Cicuta maculata) of which one mouthful can kill.
2. Should NOT be used by DIABETICS (increases blood sugar) or during PREGNANCY (abortifacient).
3. Large doses can cause BLOOD PRESSURE PROBLEMS, AFFECT HEART ACTION and RESPIRATION.
4. Once used for medicinal and culinary purposes. ITS SAFETY IS CURRENTLY BEING DEBATED. Still considered safe by USDA in small amounts, but for CULINARY PURPOSES ONLY - not recommended for medicinal use and NOT to exceed recommended dosage if someone is foolish enough to take the risk.
5. The oil can increase PHOTOSENSIVITY, so avoid excess exposure to the sunshine if using the oil externally for any reason.
6. Large amounts act too strongly on the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.
7. The fresh plant can cause CONTACT DERMATITIS in sensitive individuals.
8. **Severe POISONING has resulted from large doses of root taken for the purpose of abortion.**
|CAUTION: Can easily be confused with WATER HEMLOCK (Cicuta maculata) of which a single mouthful can kill.|
|CAUTION: Easily confused with poisonous EUROPEAN WATER HEMLOCK (Cicuta maculata) of which a single mouthful can kill.|